News:

NOTICE: Posting schedule is irregular. I hope to get back to a regular schedule as the day-job allows.


Monday, September 5, 2011

Monday Funnies - Dragon*Con version

http://teddysratlab.blogspot.com [Full link to blog for email clients.][FT:C44]

Just returned from Dragon*Con.  Lots of fun, not a lot of sleep.   Today's humor links are not specifically science related, but... I was listening to the panel on webcomics...

For context, I was specifically waiting for Howard Tayler, creator of Schlock Mercenary (which I linked in a previous post), and he was moderating a panel on webcomics.  There were two panelists in particular whose work I appreciate - who sometimes include humor that touches on science - and whose humor not only includes some things with which I am familiar, but who will have some Dragon*Con-related content in the near future.

I'll get to those links in a minute.  But first:

Howard Tayler is one of those authors who can easily "hold court" in a room of fans and friends irrespective of location.  In the car, in the restaurant, in the hospitality suite - Mr. Tayler can sure tell a story.  That is why his webcomic, Schlock Mercenary is more than just a daily comic, it is a story told in graphic, serial format.  He claims that someone else is the inspiration for his "resident mad scientist" Kevyn Andreason, but considering the tales he told of Boy Scout camp cooking, model rockets gone awry, and miscellaneous things that go boom, it is clear that Howard Tayler retains a bit of that mischievous mad scientist nature himself.  I will reiterate that of all of the webcomics I read, Schlock Mercenary remains at the top of those that tickle my funny bone.

And now for those other webcomics:  "The Devil's Panties" I admit, I don't always follow it, but when I do, I find it to be a great humorous look at life.  Then there's the artist.  Spend any time around Jennie Breeden and you can't help but feel her infectious energy and enthusiasm.  From the big boots to threatening men in kilts with a leaf-blower, SF conventions without Ms. Breeden in attendance do not know what they are missing.  "Kevin and Kell" One of the great mismatched couples of SF and fantasy.  Bill Holbrook is acknowledged as one of the most experienced and skillful graphic artists.  The link is to his Sunday Dragon*Con tribute strip.  I think he captured it pretty well.

Over the next week I will resume regular blogging.  Thanks for your understanding, I needed this break to recharge.  Up next we have mailbag posts featuring Brain Science questions from readers, a couple of science and science fiction panel reports from Dragon*Con, then we will resume The Lab Rats' Guide to the Brain with topics on "Brain disorders as plot devices."

Thanks for your patience, welcome to new readers.  Check out the backlist of blogs at right for content from The Guide and other brain science topics.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add comment - no links, spammers will be banned.